Another year, another birthday. The years start to go by a lot faster as you get older, and although I have SO many things to be thankful for I rarely stop and think about them. So since today is my birthday, I got a little reflective for a minute. I thought about when I was a little girl, and how I pictured my life would be when I was…well, this age. What I realized was, although I never imagined I’d be a Pilates instructor (I always thought I’d be a Broadway singer and dancer when i was little) in many ways I have all the things I ever wanted for myself. I get to move to music all day, I make people smile and feel better, I have freedom to travel with my job, I have amazing girlfriends who support me every step of the way, a man who loves me, I live in a lively big city that I love, and the list could go on and on. So you know what, I decided that this is not just another birthday, it is a serious reason to celebrate!
…Nope, this year I’ll be ringing in my birthday with great food that I love and loves me right back, lots of margaritas, great friends, and this…my traditional birthday cake smoothie! I’m trying a bit of a new recipe this year. I’ve been loving Chocolate Covered Katie blog for my healthy sweet treat ideas lately, so I was delighted to find her version of the bday cake batter smoothie. Even if it’s not your birthday, have one for me!
Birthday Cake Smoothie (GF, Vegan)Difficulty: 1/5
- 1 frozen, large banana, as ripe as possible
- 1/2 tsp pure organic vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted coconut butter (I used my favorite organic coconut manna)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk of choice (For an extremely rich, ice-cream-like shake, try full-fat canned coconut milk. Use more or less milk, depending on desired thickness.)
- Optional: 2-3 tsp you can either add 1 tbsp macadamia or cashew butter
- Optional: handfuls of organic sprinkles
Blend everything together in your blender. Add some sprinkles pre-blending, and then throw some more on top!